I made some decent progress into my storyboard project through my animation portfolio class. There are still some timing and continuity issues to address. The sound is also temporary, I just threw music in that fit the mood and the general idea. Here’s the work in progress.
I’ve spent a lot of time figuring out how to use C++ and UE4. So far, I managed to ruin my game and had to start from scratch, but now everything is working well. I got a walk/jump/crouch/flashlight system going. I also redid some of the textures and added new assets.
Here is a preview video:
Recently, my brother purchased a UE4 subscription and has allowed me to use it. I love it. Not to put Unity down, but I believe UE4 has many more useful features from the get-go, and is significantly cheaper than Unity. The only downside is that you need to know C++, but that isn’t too much of a problem. It has been announced that Unreal’s developer Epic games are planning to help fund Blender’s FBX export features. Better export tools will streamline the blender to UE4 workflow, making it much more friendly for artists who can’t afford Maya or Max.
Because of the benefits, I’ve decided to switch Sachtberg from Unity to UE4. Only a few days, and I’ve already made substantial progress in blocking out a level.
Everything modeled in Blender, and textures made with Photoshop and dDo.
Long time, no see.
I’ve been busy working on things here and there. I did a color pass of the Feeder monster I sketched out last time.
I also did more work on prop modeling
Here is a plaster bucket I modeled really quick.
The plaster bucket wasn’t my only creation, I also made a few other things, which can be seen in my progress updates:
I redid the tunnel models to fit more of an “underground” feeling. I like these better. Much smoother looking.
I played around with the stylization of Romy. Here, I tried an angular design. My friend mentioned the silhouette was a bit “squareish” and then he and his roommate hacked it around with me to produce the following:
It could be done many different ways, but here was what we ended up with. I wanted to try different variations of scarves, so I redrew the silhouette.
I plan to do many more silhouette trials. My friend told me I need to keep redesigning her until I get sick of it, then do it twice as much more.
For those unfamiliar, this is the second redesign pass of my Romy character for my game Sachtberg. I tried her with a longer neck and a more defined jaw (at least on the side view). I also threw some eye styles around to see what I liked. I don’t know how I feel about the wide open eyes I keep doing. It makes her look terrified.