Crowmask Doctor 3D Model Finished

4_30_15_crowmask1 4_30_15_crowmask2

The final renders of my 3D crowmask plague doctor model. My process involved a lot of bouncing back and forth between Blender and zBrush. I did all of the textures in zBrush and dDo and rendered it using Blender Cycles (see my previous post about the crowmask model).

Advertisements

Crow Mask Doctor 3D project

3_17_15_crowman

I recently felt inspired to make a crow-mask plague doctor type character. To complete this project, I used blender, photoshop, zBrush, and dDo. Of course, there’s much more work that could be done, but the focus of this project was the mask itself. I wanted to refresh my skills in porting texture from zBrush to Blender.

cm1

First I collected some of my sketches and references, such as the ASMR (the phenomenon when you hear sounds that make your neck/head tingle) youtube channel Ephemeral Rift and his character “Dr. Corvus”.

I loaded up zBrush and sculpted out the shape of the mask. I then took it to blender and cleaned up the resulting geometry because zBrush hardly ever makes geometry that is clean and neat for polygonal modeling techniques.

After cleaning it up, I UV unwrapped the model (UV unwrapping is the process of taking all the 3D “faces” and pointing them to a 2D “painting” for colors and textures). I sent it back into zBrush and got the resolution high enough for me to sculpt in the little details like metal embossing, leather wrinkles, and stitching. I used zBrush’s multimap exporter tools to “extract” the detail off the high resolution model to map it to the low resolution final model.

Next, I took my extracted “maps” into a photoshop plugin called dDo (the legacy version is free, if you want it, scroll to the bottom of their page for the download). dDo is a collection of filters and preset textures that you can apply procedurally to your model to give it dust, scratches, spots, and other dirtyness. It helps create believable textures without spending as much time (good for studio productions under time constraints).

With my finished mask, I roughly modeled up a hat and some clothes to pose for a final render, which you can see above. I used Blender’s cycles rendering engine. I intend to model out an entire character to the same quality as the mask.