The process of going from storyboard to finished panel illustrations weekly was rather unfamiliar to me, and I ended up making a few mistakes I could learn from. I never established a “design bible” for the comic. Earlier pages were black-and-white “inked” storyboard sketches (which for some reason I thought looked acceptable at the time), while later pages are fully illustrated digital paintings. Even then, the style and technique I was using changed gradually across each page. Characters often went off model and changed stylistically over panels- a problem that could have been easily solved if I had done turn-arounds and model sheets for each character.
(A good example of how my character went off model and changed stylistically… literally on the next panel)
I also decided to accept using my 3D model heavily for reference. I felt for a time that using the 3D model was “cheating” or a way that would hinder my artistic improvement. However, I realized I’ve been learning a lot about lighting and perspective through using the model as reference. I would agree using 3D models a different artist had made would not be very legitimate, but fortunately I modeled this myself.
(This image demonstrates the original storyboard style I thought was going to work, and then my process of using my 3D model to assist in a final illustration)
Once school is over, I will resume with Season 2. This time around, I’ll make sure to have character model sheets, a style guide, a technique guide, and as much other that I can plan out beforehand.